Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Maze Runner



Name: The Maze Runner

Release Date (in Singapore): 11 September 2014
Watched on: 12 September 2014


Summary:
When Thomas wakes up trapped in a massive maze with a group of other boys, he has no memory of the outside world other than strange dreams about a mysterious organization known as W.C.K.D. Only by piecing together fragments of his past with clues he discovers in the maze can Thomas hope to uncover his true purpose and a way to escape. Based upon the best-selling novel by James Dashner.

Summary by: 20th Century Fox


Personal Ratings: 4
I think that this movie i kind of on par with divergent. And since the name 'divergent' is being brought up, I would suddenly link with Hunger Games for some odd reason. I think in terms of story line, divergent is a little more better. But when I see The Maze Runner, Somehow I'm seeing more future in it compared to the other two. 

Ok so for maze runner, I thought that the story line was interesting and has a certain complexity to it (though you wouldn't realize it's not just about getting out of the maze until the ending).
Some added funny parts, which I'm not sure if they actually did that on purpose, but it got me loosening from all the intense story line. 
I liked the interesting setting, where they kind of live in this area that kind of resembles the old times. It was quite fun to see how they actually survive in this small area of land for 3 years. However sadly, I don't think that they actually showed enough. Even though they mention the different categories of 'jobs' that everyone was put into, I don't think I got to see each one of their work areas, so I thought that it was kind of a shame. 

Lack of character development, not as bad as Step up: all in, and I think that they didn't really have a choice since there were so many characters involved in this movie, they didn't really have the time to slowly tell us more about each and every character. Good development on some characters, but I thought that there was not enough for Chuck. Because they probably wanted this random touching moment at the last part where Chuck died, but honestly, the thing with his parents and what not, just wasn't really enough for me to even feel much. Instead of just telling us about his parents and stuff like that, I thought that they should have showed more of how Chuck was the one that actually believed Thomas from the beginning to the end (I think that would have more impact when Thomas was reluctant to leave Chuck's body behind).

I thought that the movie didn't really have any up or down moments, it was just kind of moving in this constant pace; though they did add some thrilling scenes that made me jump (yea, I'm easily shocked, and I always jump up meh...). So without any up or down, there wasn't a particular scene that deeply left an impression on it.

Good acting, though 1 step below Shailene Woodley. Should have known, he acted in Teen Wolf (no wonder he looks so familiar), and his acting there (when he was possessed) was superb. 


Recommended for:
Gender: Both
Age: 12 and above
Ratings: PG



No comments:

Post a Comment