Thursday, October 23, 2014

Tokyo ESP



Name: Tokyo ESP

Status: Completed
Episode: 12
Release Date (for eng subs): - 


Summary:
The science fantasy story Tokyo ESP begins with Rinka, an extremely poor high school girl who lives with just her father in modern Tokyo. One day, she is going home from school when she chases a "flying penguin" to the top of New Tokyo Tower—only to have "fish swimming in the air" suddenly appear before her. One of the fish goes through Rinka and gives her extraordinary powers beyond those of normal humans, particularly the ability to slip through solid objects.

Summary Source: ANN


Personal Ratings: 2
Honestly, had no intention to watch this anime. But when I saw this on the recommended list in Pinoy anime, I thought I would give this a go. But unfortunately, even though they have followed one of the traditional and common techniques, when it comes to anime (just that on a larger scale), I felt that they were lacking in many components. 

I actually liked how they started off. I thought that it was really quite interesting, unfortunately the rest of the story is just horrible. 
I liked the idea of showing us the future in the first episode, using the flashback technique is one good technique in making viewers look forward to the show. It also lets viewers get more curious as to how enemies or the different characters get to know more of each other and also as to how their relationship become as such in the future. But honestly, this type of technique either works for *short-term and short lengths relationship between the future situation and the past situation (in other words within an episode type, and the difference between the future and the past is within 1 week time length [widely used in many animes]), or long-term and long lengths relationship between the future situation and past situation (in other words within the whole anime, and the difference between the future and the past has a minimum of 1 year (?)). But for this anime, it's kind of in between so it has that weird and awkwardness to the whole anime. I really thought that they should aim for the long-term flash back type. 
Updating the viewers on the future, in between the different situations, that has a relationship between the past situation and the future situation would have been better, because I find that half the time I'm wondering what is happening in the future.  

One crucial thing that must be done when they start with the future and flashback, is that when they connect the past and future together, they must show us a bit of the future that was already shown before, and tell us how it's connected. For this anime, I just didn't know when they come back to the present.

When I watch this anime, I could only think of how To Aru Kagaku no Railgun was so much better. (they have the same type of story line about people with powers). And there were just so many things that I really want to see in this anime, because I do think that this story line does have the potential, just that the execution just wasn't really there. 

Explanations were not completed, and the main story line just isn't really explained much. I thought that the thing about those gold fishes and the collector should be explained and the truth about them should have been revealed at the end of the anime, but that just didn't happen. The thing about the relationship between Asuma and his foster family should have been explained more. Because I'm just not really seeing what is it going on between him and his family. And of course, I think that Rinka should have fitted in somewhere in this main story line, other than all those useless action scenes that weren't very nice. 

For the training part, I thought that they should have multitask and make Rinka think while fighting, and not do the thinking and fighting separately. It just seems really awkward and fragmented when she does it separately. Honestly, I don't think I've seen any anime which has those kind of scenes where the main character is suppose to be fighting someone and all of a sudden stop for a long time to think (like the enemy is going to wait for you.)
Another odd and illogical thing is that she can't even put up a fight against someone who is not using their ESP powers, even though she was approved by the master. So basically, other than during practice timings, she is pretty much useless. 

Weird relationship going on with Rinka and Asuma, because most of the time their separated from each other. And it also seems like Rinka started like Asuma way too soon. Afterwards, it just kind of seems like Asuma keeps getting captured, so it was annoying me the whole time. There weren't really any scenes between the two that made the viewers want to ship the two of them together. There was just no development with this relationship. 

The thing about Rinka losing her powers also didn't really make sense, because there isn't really anything to it (other than not allowing her to escape the stupid hand cuffs). But other than that I thought that it was really redundant to actually take away her powers. There should at least be some meaning to it, like say for example, the powers change or something. 

Overall, I don;t think this anime actually works. The story line isn't really there, it's not really expressed properly. All I can say that this anime is a mess.. Judging from the super incomplete story line, and the way it ended, I'm quite sure that this would have a 2nd season (unless of course they cancel it due to the lack of viewership.). If they have a 2nd season, I'm just hoping that they do something better, because this just seems like an opening to the 2nd season. (like Clannad, Even though the first season wasn't really my type of anime, I thought that together with the 2nd season, it was quite a master piece).

*this is not a professional or technical term or anything, I'm not a professional, neither do I study anything about animation, this is just how I express it with words. 


Art Ratings: 2.5
As for art.... I guess there is nothing really much to complain or anything to compliment on. I just thought that it's weird that only Rinka's hair colour change when she uses her power. It seems like for the other characters there isn't much change. 

I also thought that there were some weird stuff when it came to the design of certain character. Why would you design the panda with a zip at the back, makes me think that there is someone inside. 


Recommended for:
Gender: -
Age: -
My Ratings: PG-13



No comments:

Post a Comment