Friday, November 28, 2014

Big Hero 6



Name: Big Hero 6

Release Date (in Singapore): 17 November 2014
Watched on: 23 November 2014

Summary:
From Walt Disney Animation Studios, the team behind "Frozen" and "Wreck-It Ralph," comes "Big Hero 6," an action-packed comedy-adventure about the special bond that develops between Baymax, a plus-sized inflatable robot, and prodigy Hiro Hamada. When a devastating event befalls the city of San Fransokyo and catapults Hiro into the midst of danger, he turns to Baymax and his close friends adrenaline junkie Go Go Tomago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred. Determined to uncover the mystery, Hiro transforms his friends into a band of high-tech heroes called "Big Hero 6."
Personal Ratings: 4
I've been waiting for this cartoon for quite some time already. And it's probably one of the lesser movies out there that really met my expectations, after all the expecting and judging from the trailer.

I was quite surprised at the Japanese (well more specifically, Japanese / San Francisco) setting of the anime. I don't think they actually did a Japanese setting for their cartoons before, so this was a plus point for me (I mean with all my Japan fetish...) Wonder if Japanese seiyuus are going to dub this (can't wait if they are going to dub this in Japanese).

It was really a game well played, because to the viewers, the fact that certain links within the story was pretty obvious, it took our attention away from another potential party. At first, it may look really obvious that Krei was the culprit behind everything, and because Hiro just didn't establish that obvious link, it really took all the attention away from the professor. 

I really liked how they didn't just threw away Tadashi when he died, but actually made him the backbone of this whole story. (I don't know why, but most of the time, characters that die in the beginning are usually thrown away, and will be never mention in the story).
"Tadashi" means "correct" in Japanese, so from there, there is already that deep meaning behind his name. And I think that the message to us viewers, via his name, was that he was always doing all the right things, and he is always right. You can see it from his actions that that was really true (when Hiro stray away from his path and was too absorbed in revenge).

Really well developed story when it came to Hiro and his brother. Really touched by parts of the show. I think that for a supposedly happy show, it made me real sad at some occasions (Sadder than Frozen, and Frozen was suppose to be a sad show.)

I really liked how much they developed the main characters, but I just somehow don't really think that there was enough development for the other 4 characters. 
Other than using certain personalities of the characters to make the show funny, there wasn't really much development for the rest of them.

I really enjoyed the laughter. Things they used to make it funny weren't just words, but more of action. (Since I really hate slap sticks)

Really love the character's design. When I first saw the characters, I was just blown away. I totally loved it (especially the main character). I thought that they somehow really portrayed many information about their personalities just through their design, and they just all end up being really likable characters.

I thought that they could have showed us just how smart Hiro was in school, to the extent that he doesn't even want to go to high school. It kind of gives us that sense of satisfaction when Hiro actually found some school in which he wants to go into. 
Of course the starting for this movie was also quite good. With the unexpected robot fight and everything. But in the end, there wasn't really much of mention when it came to those robot fights, so there wasn't that nostalgic feeling when you compare the starting and the ending of the movie. 

One thing I didn't like was the inconsistent pronunciation of Japanese words (or names). You have everyone speaking in English pronunciation, and then all of a sudden there is this girl that pronounces it the right way. I'm not sure if the younger kids could hear the difference, but the inconsistency was definitely annoying me.

All was well, but I just couldn't really get one part of the story; why would the professor actually attack Hiro when Hiro first found out about the mass produced invention of Hiro's. I thought it would have been more sensible to actually try and talk Hiro into joining him than trying to kill him right off the bat. 


Recommended for:
Gender: Both
Age: 10 and above
Ratings: PG



No comments:

Post a Comment