Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Maleficent


Image from: http://www.latino-review.com/news/2014/03/new-maleficent-posters

Name: Maleficent

Release Date (in Singapore):
Watched on: 13 June 2014


Summary:
A vengeful fairy is driven to curse an infant princess, only to discover that the child may be the one person who can restore peace to their troubled land.

Summary from: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587310/


Personal Ratings: 3

I'm not sure why people always believe that most shows produced by Disney are for kids, but I can tell you that, this movie isn't really targeted at younger age groups. I'm starting to see the Disney is really making a lot of normal princes stories into life action, with a twist. And judging from the poster I saw at the movies (a glass slipper), next up would be Cinderella

I'm not sure how the kids felt about this show, since I don't think most of them understood what was being said in the show (since they were talking in, I would like to call it the more 'traditional' way of English). But I actually liked the twist. Only I just felt kind of disappointed when the ending came about. 
I thought that this movie would be a lot more dark, more cruel, but in fact it wasn't. So there was this slight disappointment that Maleficent wasn't all that bad. 

I really liked the middle part, where Maleficent and Aurora interacted when Aurora was young. It was so cute, entertaining and fun. The Maleficent then kind of reminded me of a tsundere (kind of means that she's too embarrassed to admit things, so she says the opposite of how she really feels.)   
The epic thing with the prince was also really funny. It was so ironic how in the normal 'traditional' princesses stories, the prince was everything to the princes, but for this, it seems like the prince does nothing to help save the princess (Aurora). He was just pretty much useless, and got thrown aside as soon as he came into the show, when his kiss wouldn't wake Aurora up. (I thought that they could use this and make some twist in the show at the end).

Love the costume and make up. Totally loved how they played with Angelina Jolie's natural features and amp it up to make her look more intimidating. Especially loved the contacts! Really makes her eyes convey more emotions; especially for when she was angry and when she was sad. 

What I really didn't like was probably the first part, where they showed the young Maleficent. I didn't think that it was necessary for that part to be that long. It just kind of wasn't really that captivating. So it didn't really catch my attention for the first part. 


Recommended for
Gender: Both
Age: 12 and above
Ratings: PG

No comments:

Post a Comment