Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Dracula Untold

Dracula Untold (2014) Poster

Name: Dracula Untold

Release Date (in Singapore): 2 October 2014
Watched on: 5 October 2014


Summary:
Facing threats to his kingdom and his family, Vlad Tepes makes a deal with dangerous supernatural forces - whilst trying to avoid succumbing to the darkness himself.



Personal Ratings: 2.5
In this year, it seems to be a trend to actually take a classic story and either add on or twist the plot line a bit; like Hansel and Gretel, Ninja Turtles, and Maleficent. So I guess this adds on to the collection. and I guess this movie does, in a way, help people get into the Halloween mood for the month of October. 

The starting of the show was a typical story telling to provide us with the background story of the whole movie. Though it's probably not the script's fault, but more of my understanding problems, I was actually a little confused as to whether that was the future or the past, so it kind of bugged me as to whether the main character is the kid or the dad (I thought the main character would only start impaling people when he was transformed into a Dracula.)

I guess the whole story was suppose to be sort of  sad with a happy ending. But honestly, I didn't really feel that sadness from the death of his closes friend / warrior and his wife. 
As for his closes friend, I thought that they should have actually showed us more of his loyalty and affection towards the main character.
As for the wife, it should have been more tragic and cruel to suit the dark setting and make the ending a little more happier (because of the contrast of the two situation).

As for the AWESOMELY good thing about this show; the action scenes are not ruined by the  camera work. Most of the time, the action scenes become very incomprehensible due to the shaky camera work (it gives me motion sickness too). However this movie doesn't have that problem. Totally love how they use the side or top view to show the action scenes. However, I don't think that there was enough action scenes. Since the trailer shows all the action scenes, I was really looking forward to a long and good fight between the two sides, but no there wasn't actually much action scenes. 
I guess in a way I understood why they didn't have that cliche group scene of marching towards their enemy alongside vlad (because in the end they were all enemies), but I thought that they should have actually showed us more of the fighting scenes as a group, and should have showed us how significantly little people they have as compared to their enemies

I don't think that they really made use of the 3 days in the movie. I didn't think that they actually expressed how hard was it to suppress that yearning for blood. Also they didn't really show us the negative side of having too advance senses (like hearing too many sounds all at once.)

As for the guy who kept following vlad, they probably should have added him here and there instead of just that one scene before the last, because in the end he did pay an important role in reviving Vlad. 

Overall quite a plain story line; lacked that cool factor which could have actually been easily inputted into this type of story line. 


Recommended for:
Gender: Both
Age: 13 and above
Ratings: PG-13



No comments:

Post a Comment