Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Soul Eater

Soul Eater
Image from: http://myanimelist.net/anime/3588/Soul_Eater

Name: Soul Eater ソウルイーター
Side Story: Soul Eater Not!

Status: Completed
Episode: 51
Release Date (for eng subs): -


Summary:
Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, the series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon meister and a human weapon. Trying to make the latter a "Death Scythe" which is the highest title for a weapon and thus fit for use by the Shinigami, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch.


Maka & Soul Eater, Black Star & Tsubaki, and Death the Kid with Patty and Liz Thompson are the characters Soul Eater revolves around. Besides taking the time to gather souls, these students of Shibusen defend Death City from some of the most powerful of creatures while still attending school and trying to become stronger.




Personal Ratings: 3.5
Ok so, when I first watched this anime about... god knows how long ago, I really liked it. I thought it was really a pretty nice mainstream action anime, minus the last episode. However, when I re-watched it for the 3rd time, recently, somehow I just find that it wasn't as good as what I thought I remembered it too be. So I'm just guessing that maybe this isn't the type of anime you can keep re-watching and still feel that it's awesome; kind of like Zetsuen no Tempest

So some of the negative points about this anime: first is the filler episodes. I think that the filler episodes were just wrong, really boring, but you can skip them. since the whole episode has almost no link to the main story. The fillers are only the episodes with Excalibur, who is a holy sword, and those episodes are really bad. They were like the worst thing you can do to an anime, is stick some random boring episode about this funny sword talking throughout the whole episode. So yea I really hated those episodes with Excalibur in them.

Secondly, It's the division of episodes. I find that they tend to just focus on one side of the story at one time. So if the incident only involves Death the kid, than they would finish him first before moving on to the next one. Well doing it this way allows viewers to just skip to the character's they like, but since all of the incidents are somewhat related, they would still need to watch it. So in a sense, I feel that there is very little "team work" between the three group of main characters.

Thirdly, about the Kishin. They keep saying like he is so afraid of everything around him he went crazy. But honestly, after seeing how Stien acted when he was over taken by madness, I feel that the Kishin is very much sane. Though I somewhat liked his character when he and Shinigami fought, I find that he was somewhat different when he fought against Maka, Kid and Black Star. The way the fight ended was also quite dumb. I wished they could have added a little more of what happened after the fight with Kishin part. 

Some of the positive points: I like the unique character they gave Kid, about this symmetry illness. Though sometimes I think that they don't always follow by this rule for Kid, but only when they want to add laughter to the show, which was quite a led down, but I have to say that the jokes added in by this illness of his was really good. Even though I'm not very fond of comedy type of animes, I find myself laughing to the symmetry jokes that were put in into the anime. 

Secondly, I like how this anime can strike a balance between the serious side and the comedy side. For some animes that attempt to do this, usually fail at being serious because their actions maybe too extreme, etc. One of them is Kill la Kill. So having nailed this two sides, really makes it quite a good anime, especially when their jokes and fighting scenes are top notch. (I mean it's really rare for me to give out compliments when it comes to comedy.) Though sometimes I feel that Kid and Maka should get more awesome action scenes (especially in the 2nd half of the anime), I felt that Black Star was the one that got all the nice fighting scenes.  

Lastly, I'm not sure if it's a good side about this anime, or is it just my preference, but I really like the scenes when people get over taken by madness, like the way Stien acted or that time when Maka fought against Crona. I find that the recklessness was so darn cool, I feel that maybe they should have more of those scenes.


Art Ratings: 3
Clean cut drawing. I wouldn't say it's nice or anything. But I think it's fine this way for a shounen anime. It suites the anime storyline.
I like how they try to add the Shinigami logo into their clothes and things. Really cute.


Recommended for:
Gender: Both
Age: 13 and above
My Ratings: PG-13



No comments:

Post a Comment