Saturday, July 26, 2014

Date A Live

Date A Live
Image from: http://myanimelist.net/anime/15583/Date_A_Live

Name: Date A Live デート・ア・ライブ
Sequel: Date A Live II

Status: Completed
Episode: 12 + 1 OVA
Release Date (for eng subs): -


Summary:
Itsuka Shido is a high school boy. On the last day of the spring holidays, an explosion destroys the town and a girl in armor appears in front of him. Shido's sister-in-law, Kotori, tells him that the girl is called "Special Disasterous Designated Creature: Spirit", which causes a timespace quake. Kotori disclosed that she is the commander of the anti-spirit organization Ratatosk and orders him to go out on a date with the spirit girl. Kotori says, "I don't ask you to beat the spirit. Just let her fall in love with you and save the world."

Summary Source: MAL
Summary from: 
http://myanimelist.net/anime/15583/Date_A_Live



Personal Ratings: 2.5
So I heard this anime was quite popular, which was why I checked it out even though when I saw the picture I was all like "Yep, Harem, totally Harem." and I have a serious hatred for Harem, but when I thought that this show may turn out really unexpected like Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai (The world only God Knows), I thought maybe it's not that bad. So I took my chances.

And to my dissapointment, it's not even close to the level of Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai (The world only God Knows). It was seriously quite bad. 

The whole show reeks of Harem, and there was no one proper scene where the there was some seriousness, except the last arc. So it was literally how long my patience could last before I snap. But the last arc came and save the day, so I guess overall I'll give it a pass.
I guess I can sort of see why guys like to watch this show. 

The thing that almost broke my patience was the constant interference of the other girls when the main character was trying to seal the powers of the other girls. The misunderstanding was really ridiculous and I just felt like there was not much of a backbone throughout the whole story. 

As I said, I liked the last arc, I thought that they actually did something worth while in the last arc, where the imouto (younger sister) was revealed to be a spirit, which was actually quite interesting, though I thought that there could have been some adjustments made to make it even more interesting. I thought that they should have give hints out from the middle of the anime that his imouto was not human, that could have spark off more curiosity from the viewers and make her grand entrance of her spirit form more impact. 
Also, in the 2nd or 3rd episode when it was revealed that his imouto was not what he thought she was, I thought that they should have gave more explanation on that part of her personality in the following episode, but it never came so I was quite confused back there. 

Thought that they should have raised the level of reality and seriousness of the anime and decrease the comedy side of the anime a little. For this type of anime, I think that having more reality and seriousness would really make this anime pop out a little more. Cutting down on the number of interference would also be much better to increase the level of emotions the viewers feel when there is one. 


Art Ratings: 3.5
Nice character design. I really liked how the character really brings out the personality of the characters. Love how they actually short of set a theme for each of the spirits. 

The seiyuus (voice actors) were also really well matched and picked. 
Recommended for:
Gender: Male
Age: 16 and above
My Ratings: NC-16



No comments:

Post a Comment