Monday, July 21, 2014

Mekaku City Actors

Mekakucity Actors
Image from: http://myanimelist.net/anime/21603/Mekakucity_Actors

Name: Mekaku City Actors Kagerou Project メカクシティアクターズ

Status: Completed

Episode: 12
Release Date (for eng subs): -


Summary:
The incidents which occurred on August 14th and 15th bring a group of young boys and girls together... They are members of a group they call themselves the "Mekakushi Dan" (Blindfold Organization) and each member possesses a strange power involving their eyes. Will the members of this peculiar organization be able to solve the mysteries behind these incidents and see the truth?


Summary Source: Aniplex USA


Personal Ratings: 3
I read the manga for this, so I was really interested in it when it first came out. However, the art sucked too much so I didn't watch it until it was completed. I also thought that the whole concept of the anime was a little too different from the manga. There were some good and bad things about this anime in comparison to the manga. 

Firstly, the manga is called "Kagerou Days" not "Mekaku City Actors". I'm not sure why they changed the name, or was it called Mekakku City Actors originally. 
So the bad thing about this anime was that there were too many characters to focus on. I thought that there was not enough development for each characters. They tried to focus one character by one character, but it really made it seem like there wasn't enough development for each character when they did that. I thought that for characters that play a huge role in the whole story should have been mentioned or shown throughout the whole anime; like Marry and Shintaro, instead of just having them play a huge role at the end of the anime, and totally neglect them in the middle of the anime. 
I also didn't think that they should have strayed too far from the manga, especially when it comes to the setting. I know they were trying to make this anime a little weird and sort of a little like Durarara!! but I thought that they didn't add that sense of regularity in the anime. They should have added more normal scene into the anime to make those type of (how should I called it?) "odd" scene stand out more. This would make the whole anime pop out a little more, and have a little more impact on the viewers. It would also give off that mysterious feeling to the viewers. The viewers would also see the importance of certain scenes. 

The good thing about this anime is comparison to the manga is the organization. The manga really jumps around all over the place, it was quite hard to understand the flow of the whole story line and the time frame. The anime was a lot more organize, and of accordance the the proper time frame. I also like how there was this whole consistency with the story about the snake, and their powers. In the manga, it just seems like their powers manifested out from thin air. There was no proper background to support the story. I'm not sure if it's going to come out next in the manga.

Overall, I like this story, and kind of prefer it to the manga in terms of story line, however, I really hated the animation and the art (which I'll be talking about it below).


Art Ratings: 2
For the animation, I thought that the characters really lacked that expression. I know they wanted to keep their expression more mild to increase the impact of the story line, however I really thought that they should have added a little more anger and sadness into their expression at the right time. Because throughout the whole anime it seems like they were just having the same blank expression throughout the anime. 
I was also really irritated throughout the whole anime about the position of the characters when they were looking back. They always tilt their head upwards. It's honestly really annoying, especially when all the character does that. 

As for the character designs, it's almost the same as the manga so it's fine. I liked how they have a color theme for each characters. 


Recommended for:
Gender: Both
Age: 13 and above
My Ratings: PG-13



No comments:

Post a Comment